High Concept Screenplay Competition
|HIGH CONCEPT SCREENPLAY COMPETITION
2016 Submissions are now CLOSED!
|CONTACT: Director – firstname.lastname@example.org|
The High Concept Screenplay Competition welcomes all genres and aims to discover, honor and reward different approaches, eclectic points of view and unique voices in screenwriting. A high concept screenplay:
- has a great premise – the idea is king (e.g. “Big”)
- has a memorable title – it conveys what the movie is about (e.g. “Wedding Crashers”)
- has a visual logline – you can see the movie (e.g. “40 Year Old Virgin”)
- has universal appeal – all demographics “get it” (e.g. “Star Trek”)
- has clear conflicts, high stakes, a hook, a ticking clock and/ or a twist (e.g. “Liar Liar”)
- has a succinct, descriptive “pitch” of 25 words or less (e.g. “Seven, Home Alone”)
Phase One: Two readers will evaluate your screenplays and provide written feedback analyzing structure, story development, characterization, dialogue, format, as well as overall impressions. If recommended by two readers, the script will advance to Phase Two.
Phase Two: Loglines of feature and/or screenplays that receive a double recommend from Phase One will be forwarded to our list of agents, managers and producers.
The Scriptwriters Network reserves the right to publicize the writer’s name and selected screenplays.
- Loglines and/or Scripts will be eligible to be read by industry professionals including studio executives, production companies, agents and managers based on their request from interest in the logline and genre.
- Receive a one year membership or a one year membership renewal to the Scriptwriters Network (SWN).
- InkTip Script Listing: A listing of your script on InkTip so that producers and reps can find you.
- TextAloud DVDs (TextAloud, plus Crystal and Mike Premium Voices). NextUp.com is providing the DVD’s which go to the one of the top three winners.
- Final Draft certificate for one of the top three winners.
- The competition is open to both Scriptwriters Network members and non-members who are at least 18 years of age without feature credits.
- Screenplay entries (English only) are to be unproduced, unoptioned and wholly original works of the writer(s) and responsibly registered with the Writers Guild of America and/or the U.S. Copyright Office.
- Interstate and international entries are allowed.
- Do NOT put your name or contact information anywhere on the script or title page you submit. Personal information should ONLY be included in the entry form, so that scripts remain anonymous.
- Please conform to standard industry feature screenplay format.
- There is no limit on the number of entries. Complete a separate submission for each script.
- Scripts are to be in PDF format only.
- Electronic submissions must be posted by midnight on the entry deadline.
- Submissions that do not meet the full requirements will be disqualified.
1) Go through the PayPal button below with a credit or debit card. Pay as a guest user if you are not registered with PayPal.
– Members will then be directed to log-in with their membership info to access the member rate.
– Nonmembers will have access to the nonmember rate. Please apply any applicable discount code.
2) After submitting the required information on PayPal, click to return to the SWN page where all entrants will upload scripts in PDF format on the Gravity Forms page.
3) Check the box confirming you agree to the competition rules and regulations.
4) The script submission will now be accepted.
5) Check e-mail for successful completion of entry.
There are NO REFUNDS.
- Regular Deadline: October 31, 2016 – CLOSED
We are always looking to expand our pool of experienced and trained readers in HOP. Please contact us at email@example.com for details.
Please contact Director – firstname.lastname@example.org
Producers, production companies, agents, and managers who would like to read winning scripts may join our list by completing the Industry Contacts form. It can be downloaded from the documents section below. In the interim, please check out our previous winners.