Forensic Science Boot Camp
|| Event Date: ALL DAY, Saturday, June 24, 2017 ||
|| Speaker: Jennifer Dornbush ||
Check-in: 8:30 am
9:00-5:00 pm (Lunch Break: 12-2pm)
Writers who want to incorporate authentic forensic elements can find it daunting to know where to start. If you struggle to sound authentic when writing forensics into your story, this class if for you.
Jennifer will take you through a mini-forensic science boot camp, much like the one she went through that birthed her book, Forensic Speak. You’ll gain a thorough overview of the forensic field and discover the best resources out there. Jennifer will introduce you to forensic shortcuts that will reduce your research hours so you gain more writing time! Most importantly, you will acquire ways to authenticate your work while keeping the entertainment value front and center of your project.
You’ll leave the seminar leaps and bounds ahead in your forensic knowledge. And you’ll be equipped to take your next story from generic to exceptional!
What you’ll learn?
- How to break down the eight major disciplines in forensic science field
- Who does what — Forensic Jobs and descriptions
- How to speak forensics fluently
- How to authenticate forensic science in your writing
- Forensic short cuts to reduce your research time
- When you have to fudge forensics for greater entertainment value
- How to write forensic science like an expert
- Introductions to valuable forensic science resources most people don’t know about
- How to use Forensic elements that make your story unique and memorable
Who should attend?
- Writers who feel overwhelmed with forensic research
- Writers who want to be more authentic in their voice and story telling
- Writers working on their first or fiftieth crime story
- Writers who want to jump start a new crime story
- Writers who want to test out the genre
- Writers who are having trouble making their manuscript stand out
- Writers who want to gain a competitive edge
- Writers who want to elevate their crime writing
$150 Early Bird (Deadline May 19)
$150 SWN Members Only
SPACE IS LIMITED SO RSVP TODAY!
Continental breakfast, will be provided.
There will be a 2 hour lunch break, starting at noon. Attendees will provide their own lunch. Food court nearby.
For security purposes, you MUST REGISTER before 10:00 pm on Thursday, June 22, 2017.
|$150 Early Bird (Deadline May 19)
Please Pay Here
SWN Annual Members,
$150 – Sign-In Here
|To become a paid SWN Annual
Member, Join Now!
Her story creation is bred from a very unsheltered childhood as the daughter of a medical examiner whose office was in her home. She investigated her first fatality, an airplane crash, when she was 10 years old and from there gathered a decade of on-sight experience in death investigation and 360 hours of forensic training through the Forensic Science Academy.
Wanting to share her love of forensics with other storytellers, she scribed non-fiction work, Forensic Speak: How To Write Realistic Crime Dramas, published by Michael Wiese Productions, hailed as a north star to creating authentic crime dramas.
As a forensic specialist she has consulted with writers on: Beauty & The Beast, Deception, Hawaii Five-O, Leverage, Prison Break, Rectify, Revolution, Suits, White Collar and Conviction.
She regularly leads seminars on forensics and crime fiction for The Writers Store, Great American Pitchfest, Crime Writers Weekend, Sisters in Crime, Act One, Scriptwriters Network, Romance Writers of America, Mystery Writers of America, Story Expo, American Christian Fiction Writers, and Universita Cattolica Milano, Italy; Highbridge Film Festival, Seymour Agency, and Write Canada. Jennifer also teaches screenwriting to students in high school and college. She mentors new writers through the Act One Program and Regent University.
Jennifer is currently writing a action, crime thriller with Hoplite Entertainment and developing three crime novels. Her feature film, God Bless the Broken Road is slated for release in 2017 in conjunction with the novel release on June 6th by the same title published by Simon & Schuster. She has a bi-lingual kid’s show, Team Abuelita, in production with Baby First TV.
Check out her weekly vlogs, Screenlife Mondays and Forensic Fridays at www.jenniferdornbush.com
Check-in begins at 8:30 pm.
Event starts at 9:00 pm.
No Refunds. No Credits.
Community Room B
10800 West Pico Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90064
****Located on level 3, behind Landmark Theatres. Park in the parking structure close to the theater. Go up to level 3 and follow the signs.
**Parking – first 3 hours free. Plenty of parking.
Meeting Timeframe: 1:00 pm to approximately 3:00 pm.
Members, please remember to bring your SWN membership card!
Any questions, email us at email@example.com